Monday, April 28, 2008

muzaked to death

Where I work, the outdoor mall, there is oldies music on. They call it muzak, but it's actual songs, not just instrumentals.

You remember that commercial... I think it was a diaper commercial in the 80's, where these kids were dancing around to the Gentrys "I Keep On Dancing"?

Well, I've heard that two times today. And I've only been here two and a half hours.

I'm tired today. Yesterday wasn't an awful day, money wise, but slow.

I've had one customer thus far, and it was a trio of old ladies who wanted sugar scrub hand treatments.

Our hand treatments are thus:

We offer our sugar scrubs in a variety of different fragrances. Chocolate & Strawberry, Coconut, Oatmeal Milk & Honey, Beach Breezes, Pink Grapefruit, Kiwi, Chocolate, Cucumber & Melon, Berry, or Raspberry.

They choose what they'd like, we use a pitcher of water and get their hands wet, a large metal basin under them.

Then we spoon in a bit of the sugar scrub into their hands, whichever fragrance they'd like.

Then they rub their hands together and get to feel what the sugar scrub feels like. The whole process takes about a minute. Maybe two, if they really like the feel of the sugar scrub. Then we pour water over their hands and once they're clean, give them a towel to dry off with.

The sugar scrub demonstration is either a great seller, or a free thing for people to just do, who have no intention of purchasing anything.

It happens, you still do it because it's a draw (we have a sign outside our store)... and you never know.

So they bought some, which is cool. But that's it for customers today so far.

Over the weekend, after re-doing our html email, we got two orders, a potential 3rd order, a private label customer on our body lotions and body wash, and a potential LARGE customer for sliced soap, which would be awesome. We'll have to see, and I'll keep you posted.

I am watching the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series and I have some notes for those of you who might try to watch this series.

The first season is a joke. A huge joke. It's almost as if the writers decided that suspending the audiences disbelief was more important than accountability and responsibility in the characters and their surroundings.

The first episode. THE FIRST EPISODE. A teenager gets turned into a vampire and dies at the end (I'm not ruining anything here) and no police, no frightened mother, no FBI, nothing. And this happens all season. All season.

It's such a joke, I can't even stand it. Joss Whedon is a great writer and creator. But he should have had more control over that first season, and took the writing into his own hands. Some of it was downright awful.

I have season 2 in my dvd player, and I'm worried. Because A) it would be nice to get through the entire series, praying it gets better and B) because I need something to watch while it's slow.

So, here's to season 2 lighting my fire.

More later.

John Painz

No comments: